Translate

Monday, August 11, 2014

Hydrangea Tea Set on the Veranda


Summer is languid now. It is a warm scent difficult to describe but known to anyone who has ever walked down a dirt road on an August afternoon. 




Spring pastels make room for summer's gaudy colors.


There is always a little sun for the zinnias and a little shade for the impatiens.


Gold finch' sport their summer colors amid the cattails and roadside thistle. 

Portulaca, ornamental grasses and hydrangea, what I think of as 'beach plants', are coming on strong.



There will be  little to no rain for the next month and living has extended to the back porch - or as we jokingly call it the Veranda.

 It has become my afternoon refuge, a place for sumptuous teas, good books, or just a quiet hour listening to the chatter of birds and the tinkle of ice in a tall sweating glass of fresh lemonade. 


Vintage linens and lace have been washed in lemon water and now dry in the sun.  The breeze lifts them and the scent of sun dried linen perfumes the air.  

Today I am using this pretty hydrangea tea set which was a birthday gift to me from my children. I love it's soft colors and gold accents. I love the balance of the pieces, how they fit so perfectly in hand.  It is not a distinguished brand but I would not trade it for one hundred Aynsley's.

My children bought me this set at a time of great uncertainty and very little money.  When I hold this tea pot I remember the joyful anticipation in my children's' eyes when they handed me the box.
"Open this one first."   

While you sip your tea, let me share a word on a few details...


In a moment of luck I found the pair of vintage earrings for 50 cents the same day I set up this tea. I think they are a perfect accent. The lace panels drying on the railing are from the same yard sale. 


The swag is about 36 inches. It is made from strips of tulle and ribbon. Rainbow sprinkles inspired the color choice!




 The wreaths are strips of fine netting in cotton candy colors tied to a embroidery hoop.  Favorite books go incognito in fabric covers. The gloves belonged to my MIL - aren't they sweet?

Thank you for visiting!
I'm so glad you stopped by!

Hope to see you at these great parties.










Where you'll want to see the 


Where you won't want to miss Sally's post on sewing related collectables.



and if you haven't already make sure you check out  Jann's