Translate

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Country House Inspired Dining Room


Old silver. Plaid and lace. Wildlife prints. The glorious earth tones of Autumn. The warmth of solid oak.  




Welcome to my Highland Country House dining room.


The Country house has always stirred my imagination. 

Romantic suspense, who done it, or screwball comedy if you plunk a heroine down in an English country house, or a Scottish manor even the thinnest plot is elevated. In the hands of a master the country house becomes a character in it's own right. I wasn't looking to create a facsimile of country manor house room, just bring together things that evoke the spirit of those fictional country houses. And because I am frugal minded and saving my craft/decorating pennies for Christmas projects  I wanted to create it from items I already owned or could make myself with materials I had on hand.


The story is in the details.  The plaid runner is a rough edge length of fabric layered with a length of heavy lace.  Mercury candlesticks and beaded silver add the touch of  the frost one might find on an early morning tramp around the estate. Hare and hounds. Pheasant and wild turkey. Gilt edges and a warm fire to welcome one home from the field.







A fruit compote hints at a cheese course, a lovely Stilton perhaps?






The hounds search in vane. The fox is safe in it's bolt hole.




Vintage napkins purchased at Creative Home Expressions.











Old Country Roses and an embroidered linen tea towel. The shabby genteel patina of old silver and doilies crocheted by Victorian grand aunts.  Lady Charlotte adds a touch of class to the informal tea cart. 






  It was fun and a little challenging to only use what I already owned. First I compiled a mental list of things that said country house to me. Then I took a large wicker basket and shopped my way through the house and closets.  I admit I was yearning to go buy some urns, and pheasant feathers, and oh! I really wished I had some cut glass decanters. But I stood firm and only used what I already owned.  Once the table was set I headed to the PC and printed out some images which went into (Dollar Tree) frames I had on hand. I baked some scones and was arranging the tea cart thinking that there was still something missing … Of course!  Woofer graciously exchanged his bow tie for a plaid scarf then took up his position by the fire; Angus McWoofer at your service. 
 I had hope you’ve enjoyed my Highland Country House Dining Room. I certainly enjoyed pulling it together.
Wishing you a week full of blessings.


Susan

Parties I'll be joining 

Pink Saturday@ How Sweet the Sound 
Whats It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants 

   Share Your Cup Thursday@ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson

Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life



One More Thing ...

Over a Golden Egg Vintage swap partners have been chosen for
Erica's "Christmas in the Kitchen" Exchange.
My swap partner is Viv - from Viv 's Whimsy 
 
If you haven't met Viv  you want to visit her right away!
And Don't forget to
Check out My  Picks of the Week 
Pickles & Peppers Home made Firecrackers
 

Visit Sarah and have a cup of tea in lovely brown transferware. Sugar? Right there in an antique French caddy. And gingerbread acorns.

 Hyacinths for the Soul -Gingerbread Acorns

Visit Spot on Cedar Pond for a thoughtful post on our wandering minds and some lovely blue lusterware. While you are there check out her darling handmade sheep in a variety of colors and 'seasons'. I have a flock of  Cedar Pond's nativity sheep which I love !!!
Spot on Cedar Pond